May 25, 2011

Spring jacket done!


After getting wonderful input on what fabric to choose for my spring jacket I decided to go with a soft coral red linen fabric and a lively cotton lining with red, yellow and grey dots. Since I drafted the pattern and made it to my measurements, it fits me like a glove! And the soft cotton lining makes it so comfortable. 



I had first planned to go with four covered buttons at the front but decided after putting the jacket on that a hook-and-eye closure would be more suitable and show off the lines and the simplicity of the jacket. 

I love this jacket so much I think I'll might make it in a navy blue and maybe in a dark denim as well. If I manage to find the time... I have a busy week and weekend ahead of me and my next project is that late 1970s jumpsuit I got in the mail last week. I also started to knit a summer sweater for my son last night. We'll see if it will be done for his 2 years birthday next month...

11 comments:

  1. Such a lovely jacket. Totally New Look!
    I'm thinking I could make something similar now. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great jacket! An accomplishment it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it ! I'm in love for this jacket.
    Sorry for my English

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, its gorgeous! Love the colour :)
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an amazing jacket! Did you do any tailoring inside? I am thinking of drafting a lightweight jacket and am not sure how much tailoring I want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I like the hook and eye closures, they look so clean and contemporary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adelaide - all I did in terms of tailoring was using some light interfacing at the collar and at the center front. I wanted to keep the jacket pretty simple and the linen fabric and cotton lining itself give the jacket a pretty good structure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you make the skirt as well? I love the shape. It seems like it would be flattering on everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! Why did you decide to run the lining all the way to the edge on the bottom?

    I absolutely love the shape and the color.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jessica - Yes, I made the skirt as well! It's a full circle skirt made in a light weight vintage wool fabric.
    Erinkg - I wanted the lining all down to the edge of the peplum so that you could get a glimpse of the lining as I move around.

    ReplyDelete